It is vital your filter cartridge is maintained correctly to maximise it’s life and usefulness. The life of a filter cartridge depends on how you treat it. Filter clogging is caused by soaps, chemicals, perspiration, body fats, oils and fine particles of dust or dirt.
Maximise the life of your filter
There are specific things you can do to maximise the life of your filter:
- Maintain the pool water chemistry in proper balance. Bring a water sample (400ml or more) in to our store. We will test it for you and provide you with a comprehensive report, all at no charge.
- Clean the cartridge in accordance with it’s cleaning instructions.
- Do not scrub the filter with a stiff brush.
- Do not use a high pressure hose.
- Rotate two cartridges to prolong the life of the filters considerably.
All filter cartridges should be cleaned at least every two months. If you follow these cleaning procedures you will ensure the maximum life of the cartridge:
- Remove the cartridge from the filter housing or skimmer box.
- Wash the filter using a garden hose working from the top down. Do not use a high pressure hose or a brush.
- Spray the cartridge with Filter Renew Spray and leave to soak for 30 minutes or more, or soak the cartridge for at least an hour (overnight is preferable) in a solution of Filter Renew (Cartridge Cleaning Solution available in store).
- Rinse the cartridge once more with a hose to remove any remaining oil or cleaning solution. Keep rinsing the cartridge until there is no sign of any foaming.
Eventually your cartridge filter will block and will need to be replaced – usually within one to two years – depending on the amount of use.